was successfully added to your cart.

Trumpeter Alison Balsom withdraws from Handel and Haydn performances due to illness

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 21, 2014
Contact: Matthew Erikson, Public Relations and Communications Manager
617 262 1815 or [email protected]
National/International Contact: Nikki Scandalios
704 340 4094 or [email protected]

** MEDIA ALERT **

Trumpeter Alison Balsom withdraws from

Handel and Haydn performances due to illness

In Balsom’s place, guest conductor Richard Egarr will lead the Period Instrument Orchestra in Beethoven’s Coriolan Overture

Performances are Friday, January 24, 8 pm and Sunday, January 26, 3 pm at Symphony Hall.

January 21, 2014 (Boston, MA) — With great regret, British trumpeter Alison Balsom has informed the Handel and Haydn Society that she will not be able to perform in this weekend’s concerts due to illness. Balsom had been originally scheduled to perform the Haydn Trumpet Concerto. In Balsom’s place, conductor Richard Egarr will lead the Period Instrument Orchestra in Beethoven’s Coriolan Overture. The rest of the program, which includes symphonies by Haydn, Beethoven, and W.F.E. Bach, will remain unchanged.

“Even without Alison, our audiences will be amazed by the high energy and sparkle of this program and, in particular, the incredible versatility of its conductor, Richard Egarr,” said H&H Executive Director Marie-Hélène Bernard.

A frequent and popular guest of H&H, Richard Egarr most recently led the Period Instrument Orchestra in performances of Beethoven Symphony No. 7 in March 2013. He is also an award-winning keyboardist, performing repertoire ranging from 15th-century organ music to Berg and Maxwell Davies on modern piano. His 2008 recording of the Handel Organ Concertos, Op. 4, earned Egarr a number of critical plaudits, including “the Bernstein of early music” from NPR. Egarr is the current music director of the Academy of Ancient Music.

CONCERT INFORMATION

Beethoven Symphony No. 4

Friday, January 24, 8 pm at Symphony Hall

Sunday, January 26, 3 pm at Symphony Hall

Richard Egarr, conductor

Period Instrument Orchestra

Ludwig van Beethoven: Coriolan Overture

Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 104 in D Major, London

W.F.E. Bach: Symphony in G Major

Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in B-flat Major, Op. 60

Tickets from $20. See below for purchasing information.

TICKETS:              

Tickets are available through Handel and Haydn Society (H&H) Box Office: by phone at 617 266 3605; online at handelandhaydn.org; or in person at the Handel and Haydn Society offices, Horticultural Hall, 300 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston (M–F, 10am–6pm). Student rush is available starting 90 minutes before the performance: $15 cash only with valid ID, best available seats subject to availability. Groups of 10 or more receive a 20% discount.

RELATED EVENTS:           

Pre-Concert Conversation with Teresa M. Neff, PhD

Friday, January 24 at 7pm

Sunday, January 26 at 2pm

Conversations will take place in Higginson Hall, Symphony Hall

Free with concert tickets

H2 Young Professionals

Handel and Haydn Society’s Young Professionals group, H2, continues with a celebration following the January 24 performance at Lucca Back Bay, 116 Huntington Ave, Boston.

Sponsored by Lucca Back Bay and The Improper Bostonian.

Free with concert tickets. RSVP at www.handelandhaydn.org/concerts/h2

ARTIST BIOGRAPHIES

Richard Egarr

Richard Egarr made his H&H conducting debut in 2008, and most recently led H&H in performances of Beethoven Symphony No. 7 in March 2013. He has worked with all types of keyboards, performing repertoire ranging from 15th-century organ music to Berg and Maxwell Davies on modern piano. Egarr enjoyed his musical training as a choirboy at York Minster, at Chetham’s School of Music in Manchester, and as organ scholar at Clare College Cambridge. His studies with Gustav and Marie Leonhardt further inspired his work in the field of historical performance.

As a conductor, Egarr has presented a wide range of repertoire, from Bach’s St. Matthew Passion to John Taverner’s Ikon of Light. He directs specialized ensembles and modern orchestras alike. He is Music Director of the Academy of Ancient Music, having succeeded its founder Christopher Hogwood in 2006. This season he conducts the AAM on several tours across Europe and Asia.

Richard Egarr records exclusively for Harmonia Mundi USA. His solo output comprises works by Frescobaldi, Gibbons, Couperin, Purcell, Froberger, Mozart, and J.S. Bach (Goldberg Variations and Well-Tempered Clavier Book I). He has an impressive list of award-winning recordings with violinist Andrew Manze. With the Academy of Ancient Music he has recorded the complete Bach harpsichord concertos and an entire set of Handel discs.

Handel and Haydn Society

Handel and Haydn Society is a professional Period Instrument Orchestra and Chorus and an internationally recognize­d leader in the field of Historically Informed Performance, a revelatory style that uses the instruments and techniques of the composer’s time. Founded in Boston in 1815, H&H is considered the oldest continuously performing arts organization in the US and has a longstanding commitment to excellence and innovation: it gave the American premieres of Handel’s Messiah (1818), Haydn’s The Creation (1819), Verdi’s Requiem (1878), and Bach’s St. Matthew Passion (1879). H&H will celebrate its 200th anniversary with the 2014–2015 Season.

Handel and Haydn today, under the leadership of Artistic Director Harry Christophers, is committed to its mission to enrich life and influence culture by performing Baroque and Classical music at the highest levels of artistic excellence, and by providing engaging, accessible, and broadly inclusive music education and training activities. H&H is widely known through its local subscription series, tours, concert broadcasts on WGBH/99.5 Classical New England and National Public Radio, and recordings. Its recording of Sir John Tavener’s Lamentations and Praises won a 2003 Grammy Award and two of its recordings, All is Bright and Peace, appeared simultaneously in the top ten on Billboard Magazine’s classical music chart. Since the release of its first collaboration with Harry Christophers on the CORO label in September 2010, it has made available three live commercial recordings of works by Mozart – Mass in C Minor (2010), Requiem (2011), and Coronation Mass (2012) as well as Haydn, Vol. 1 (September 2013) and An American Christmas (October 2013). 

Visit our new media center for releases, photos, and more. To arrange interviews with Alison Balsom, please contact Public Relations and Communications Manager Matthew Erikson at

617 262 1815 or [email protected].   

###

7ads6x98y