was successfully added to your cart.

Handel and Haydn Society gathers a full stage of performers for Vivaldi Gloria

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 29, 2014
Contact: Matthew Erikson, Public Relations & Communications Manager
617 262 1815 or [email protected]
National/International Contact: Nikki Scandalios
704 340 4094 or [email protected]
Visit our new media center for releases, photos and more.

Artistic Director Harry Christophers conducts the Period Instrument Orchestra and Chorus,

H&H Young Women’s Chamber Choir, and Young Men’s Chorus

in choral blockbuster.

Soprano Nathalie Paulin joins the program in sacred music by Handel and Vivaldi.

The concert concludes with Handel’s inspiring Foundling Hospital Anthem.

Performances are Friday, February 21, 8 pm and Sunday, February 23, 3 pm at Symphony Hall.

January 29, 2014 (Boston, MA) —  Artistic Director Harry Christophers leads a triumphant program of Baroque vocal music, including, most notably, Antonio Vivaldi’s Gloria in D Major and Handel’s Foundling Hospital Anthem. Joining him on the Symphony Hall stage will be a full contingent of performers: guest soprano Nathalie Paulin, the Period Instrument Orchestra and Chorus, the Handel and Haydn Society (H&H) Young Women’s Chamber Choir, and Young Men’s Choir.

“Both of the main works on this program have associations with youth,” says Artistic Director Harry Christophers. “Vivaldi’s Gloria was written for the Ospedale della Pietà, a convent school for abandoned female children. Handel’s anthem was intended for the Foundling Hospital, a refuge for ‘the reception, maintenance, and education of exposed and deserted young children.’ Thus, it is a perfect opportunity to gather together our Young Women’s Chamber Choir and Young Men’s Chorus.”

Vivaldi’s Gloria was first performed in early 18th-century Venice where it was most likely sung by an all-female chorus at the orphanage where Vivaldi taught. Today, it is one of the most popular choral works in the repertoire—sung by men and women—and has been used in a number of iconic film soundtracks, including 1985’s Runaway Train and 1996’s Shine.
The program not only pairs works by Handel and Vivaldi but music for the church and the opera hall as well. Soprano Nathalie Paulin (who last sang with H&H in 2009) is soloist in Handel’s lesser known Salve Regina and Vivaldi’s virtuosic Ostro picta, armata spina, music that the Italian composer probably intended as an introduction to the Gloria in D Major. The concert closes with Handel’s Foundling Hospital Anthem, which famously ends with the “Hallelujah” chorus fromMessiah.

The Collaborative Youth Concert students from H&H’s Karen S. and George D. Levy Educational Outreach Program will open both performances with the chorus “Let their celestial concerts all unite” from the Handel oratorio Samson. Students from Brockton High School, Boston Arts Academy, Lawrence Hugh School, Lunenberg High School, Peabody High School, Boston Latin School, Lynn Classical, and Lynn English choruses will join together with the H&H Period Instrument Orchestra, conducted by John Finney.

The Friday, February 21 performance will be followed by the season’s third H2 Young Professionals event, held at Lucca Back Bay, 116 Huntington Ave., Boston. Handel and Haydn’s audience is comprised of 30% 18–44 year olds, and the H2 program holds post-concert receptions throughout the year for these young attendees to mingle with musicians and each other. For more information, visit www.handelandhaydn.org/concerts/h2.

CONCERT INFORMATION

Vivaldi Gloria
Friday, February 21, 8 pm at Symphony Hall
Sunday, February 23, 3 pm at Symphony Hall
Harry Christophers, conductor
Period Instrument Orchestra and Chorus
Young Women’s Chamber Choir and Young Men’s Chorus
Nathalie Paulin, soprano
George Frideric Handel: Overture to Saul
Antonio Vivaldi: Ostro picta, armata spina
Vivaldi: Gloria in D Major
Vivaldi: Sinfonia dalla Dorilla in tempe
Handel: Salve Regina
Handel: Foundling Hospital Anthem

Tickets from $20. See below for purchasing information.

TICKETS:              
Tickets are available through Handel and Haydn Society (H&H) Box Office: by phone at 617 266 3605; online at handelandhaydn.org; or in person at the Handel and Haydn Society offices, Horticultural Hall, 300 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston (M–F, 10am–6pm). Student rush is available starting 90 minutes before the performance: $15 cash only with valid ID, best available seats subject to availability. Groups of 10 or more receive a 20% discount. 

RELATED EVENTS:           
Pre-Concert Conversation
Friday, February 21 at 7pm
Sunday, February 23 at 2pm
Conversations will take place in Higginson Hall, Symphony Hall
Free with concert tickets

H2 Young Professionals
Handel and Haydn Society’s Young Professionals group, H2, continues with a celebration following the February 21 performance at Lucca Back Bay, 116 Huntington Ave, Boston.
Sponsored by Lucca Back Bay and The Improper Bostonian.
Free with concert tickets
RSVP at www.handelandhaydn.org/concerts/h2

ARTIST BIOGRAPHIES

Harry Christophers
Harry Christophers, CBE, is in his fifth season as Artistic Director of the Handel and Haydn Society. Under his direction, H&H has pursued an ambitious artistic plan leading up to the Society’s 2015 Bicentennial, featuring a showcase of works premiered in the United States by the Handel and Haydn Society since 1815; educational programming; community outreach activities and partnerships; and a series of recordings on the CORO label.
Christophers is known internationally as founder and conductor of the UK-based choir and period instrument ensemble The Sixteen. He has directed the renowned group throughout Europe, America, and the Far East, gaining a distinguished reputation for his work in Renaissance, Baroque, and 20th century music. He has recorded close to 100 titles for which he has won numerous awards, including a Grand Prix du Disque for Handel’s Messiah, numerous German Record Critics Awards, the coveted Gramophone Award for Early Music, and the prestigious Classical Brit Award (2005) for his disc entitled Renaissance. In 2009 he received one of classical music’s highest accolades, the Classic FM Gramophone Awards Artist of the Year Award; The Sixteen also won the Baroque Vocal Award for Handel Coronation Anthems, a CD that also received a 2010 Grammy Award nomination. Christophers is also Principal Guest Conductor of the Granada Symphony Orchestra and a regular guest conductor with the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. In October 2008, he was awarded an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Music from the University of Leicester. He is an Honorary Fellow of Magdalen College, Oxford and also of the Royal Welsh Academy for Music and Drama. Christophers was awarded a CBE in the 2012 Queen’s Birthday Honors.
Nathalie Paulin, soprano
Ms. Paulin last performed with H&H in 2009. Winner of a Dora Mavor Moore Award for Outstanding Opera Performance, she has collaborated with internationally renowned conductors including Jane Glover, Yannick Nézet-Séguin, Antony Walker, Sir Roger Norrington, Andrew Parrott, and Yoav Talmi on both the concert platform and in opera. As well, critics have been lavish in their praise. Reviewing from Chicago, John van Rhein noted that “Paulin in particular is a real find; her rich, agile voice possesses great depth and allure, her manner radiates sensuous charm.”

Ms. Paulin’s engagements for 20132014 are an indication of the breadth of her artistry and include performances of Micaëla in Carmen with Opera Tampa and Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9 for the Seattle Symphony. As well she will be heard as Marie in Wozzeck with Ensemble nouvelle moderne de Montréal, and stars as Calisto in the Cavalli opera for Cincinnati Opera.

Handel and Haydn Society
Handel and Haydn Society is a professional Period Instrument Orchestra and Chorus and an internationally recognize­d leader in the field of Historically Informed Performance, a revelatory style that uses the instruments and techniques of the composer’s time. Founded in Boston in 1815, H&H is considered the oldest continuously performing arts organization in the United States and has a longstanding commitment to excellence and innovation: it gave the American premieres of Handel’s Messiah (1818), Haydn’s The Creation (1819), Verdi’s Requiem (1878), and Bach’s St. Matthew Passion (1879). H&H will celebrate its 200th anniversary with the 2014–2015 Season.

Handel and Haydn today, under the leadership of Artistic Director Harry Christophers, is committed to its mission to enrich life and influence culture by performing Baroque and Classical music at the highest levels of artistic excellence, and by providing engaging, accessible, and broadly inclusive music education and training activities. H&H is widely known through its local subscription series, tours, concert broadcasts on WGBH/99.5 Classical New England and National Public Radio, and recordings. Its recording of Sir John Tavener’s Lamentations and Praises won a 2003 Grammy Award and two of its recordings, All is Bright andPeace, appeared simultaneously in the top ten on Billboard Magazine’s classical music chart. Since the release of its first collaboration with Harry Christophers on the CORO label in September 2010, it has made available three live commercial recordings of works by Mozart – Mass in C Minor (2010), Requiem (2011), and Coronation Mass (2012) as well as Haydn, Vol. 1 (September 2013) and An American Christmas (October 2013). 

Visit our new media center for releases, photos, and more. To arrange interviews with Alison Balsom, please contact Public Relations and Communications Manager Matthew Erikson at
617 262 1815 or [email protected]

# # #