H+H/NEC Conductor Apprentice Program
Established in 2010, this program for Master’s degree candidates in Orchestral Conducting at New England Conservatory offers hands-on experience in period performance and one-on-one mentoring with the world’s leading early music conductors. The aim of this inter-organizational program, unmatched anywhere in the United States, is to provide an extraordinary experience that complements standard conservatory curricula, thereby training the next generation of conductors in period performance and producing well-rounded musicians.
The program pairs students with H+H Artistic Director Harry Christophers and guest conductors for week-long apprenticeships culminating in H+H concert programs. Students learn about period performance technique, participate in the rehearsal process, and experience concerts with the perspective of a professional conductor.
- Joshua Weilerstein (H+H Apprentice with Bernard Labadie for Beethoven by Levin, Haydn by Labadie in 2010)
- Aram Demirjian (H+H Apprentice with Harry Christophers for Handel’s Israel in Egypt in 2011)
- Andres Lopera (H+H Apprentice with Richard Egarr for Beethoven’s Fifth in 2011 and with Jean-Marie Zeitouni for Beethoven Eroica in 2012)
- Matthew Szymanski (H+H Apprentice with Harry Christophers for Vivaldi The Four Seasons in 2012 and with Harry Christophers for Haydn in Paris in 2013)
- Lio Kuokman (H+H Apprentice with Harry Christophers for Bach St. Matthew Passion in 2012 and with Richard Egarr for Beethoven Symphony No. 7 in 2013)
- Sarah Kidd (H+H Apprentice with Bernard Labadie for Mozart Jupiter in 2012)
- Earl Lee (H+H Apprentice with Grant Llewellyn for Mozart and Beethoven in 2013)
- Nathan Aspinall (H+H Apprentice with Harry Christophers for Handel Messiah in 2014 and with Richard Egarr for Mozart + Beethoven in 2015)
- David Yi (H+H Apprentice with Harry Christophers for Bach St. Matthew Passion in 2015 and with Harry Christophers for Handel Messiah in 2015)
- Jacob Joyce (H+H Apprentice with Laurence Cummings for Bach Christmas in 2015 and with Richard Egarr for Beethoven Symphony No. 6 in 2016)
- Radu Paponiu (H+H Apprentice with Harry Christophers for All Haydn in 2016)