Join the H+H Youth Choruses
We are currently welcoming new singers for the spring semester and we would love to welcome you into the H+H community of singers!
Just fill out our HHYC interest form and sign up for a singer placement in January at United Parish in Brookline. We'll use this time to get to know you as a musician and find just the right ensemble for you! Learn more about singer placements below.
Tuition for the spring semester is $225 for New Voices and $275 for all other ensembles.
Find Your Chorus
Thank you for your interest in singing with the H+H Youth Choruses! We are welcoming new singers into all ensembles for the 2022-2023 Season! H+H Youth Choruses are composed of musicians ages 7-18. We invite you to schedule a voice placement session so we can help identify the HHYC ensemble that will be the best fit for you. The voice placement session gives our conductors the chance to get to know you and your individual instrument. Your ensemble placement is based on your maturity, age, musicianship, and schedule availability. No prior musical training is expected to join HHYC.
Singers who are interested in singing with the Concert Choir or Chamber Choir should refer to the audition requirements for these ensembles, outlined below.
To arrange to visit an HHYC rehearsal, schedule a voice placement session, or set-up your Concert Choir or Chamber Choir audition, please submit the interest form.
Questions? Don’t hesitate to contact JongHun Kim, Associate Director of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617.262.1815.
Preparing for Your Voice Placement
We can’t wait to hear you and would love to welcome you into the H+H community of singers!
We suggest you familiarize yourself with the song "America (My Country 'tis of Thee)" for the voice placement session.
Practice with Aidan
Practice with KeeSeok
Practice with Bryana
Concert Choir Auditions
Singers with treble voices in grades 6-9 are invited to audition for the Concert Choir. No prior experience in HHYC is required. To audition for the Concert Choir:
- Complete the HHYC interest form.
- Ask a teacher to complete this teacher recommendation form. You will receive a confirmation from H+H when your recommendation has been received.
- Sing an audition with the conductor of the ensemble, Dr. Jennifer Kane. Upon completing the HHYC interest form, you’ll receive communication from a member of the HHYC staff about scheduling your audition. In your audition, you'll do some vocal exercises and sight-singing and be asked to perform an unaccompanied prepared piece. Your solo selection can be anything that you love to sing - a few verses of a folk song, hymn, or favorite piece of choral music would all work well. If you'd like to learn something new, we recommend "O Music" by Lowell Mason (an early president of H+H!) You can find the sheet music here and a recording below.
Chamber Choir Auditions
Singers in grades 9-12 or taking a gap year are invited to audition for the Chamber Choir. No prior experience in HHYC is required. To audition for the Chamber Choir:
- Complete the HHYC audition form.
- Ask a teacher to complete this teacher recommendation form.
- Sing an audition with the conductor of the ensemble, Alyson Greer Espinosa. Upon completing the HHYC interest form, you’ll receive communication from a member of the HHYC staff about scheduling your audition. In your audition, you'll do some vocal exercises and sight-singing and be asked to perform an art song of your choosing. Please select a song that best represents your abilities and talent as a vocalist. If you need an idea for a piece to sing, consult this list.
High School Soloists
Singers entering grade 9-12 in Fall 2022 are invited to audition for High School Soloists. No prior experience in HHYC or with private vocal instruction is required.
To apply for the High School Soloists:
- Sing a live audition. Indicate your Intent to Audition by completing this form and we will contact you to confirm your audition time.
- Submit your Application by Saturday, June 25.
- Secure a Teacher Recommendation by Saturday, June 25.
Live auditions will be heard on the afternoon of Saturday, June 4, 2022 at New England Conservatory. Alternative audition arrangements may be made if this audition date does not fit your schedule. For the audition, you should prepare a solo selection that best represents your abilities and talent as a vocalist, and is music that you love to sing! An accompanist will be provided. Your audition will last about 10 minutes and also includes some sight reading and vocalization.